My 7-year old Sailor

on Monday, January 17, 2011

So over dinner Brooklyn slipped and used the word 'butt'. She caught herself and changed quickly to 'bum', knowing that we don't use 'butt' in our house. But the whole line of conversation triggered a conversation she had at school earlier in the day. Brooklyn then chimes in, "a boy at school tried to convince me that 'sh*%' is a bad word. I told him that 'sh*%' is not a bad word. 'Sh*%' isn't a bad word is it, Dad?" By this time my 7-year old daughter had dropped the 'S' bomb 3 times before I picked my jaw up off the table and could recover with a response. I told her the 'S' word was an extremely bad word that should never be used by anybody. Brooklyn, now shocked, quickly retorted, "then why when we're talking about the breed of dog, to we say Sh*% Zhu? A logical question that deserved a logical answer. It was then when we had to break down the spelling and correct pronunciation of the breed of dog vs. the spelling of profanity. Just not a conversation I was anticipating for at least another few years. Whew!

1 comments:

The State of Our Family said...

That is HILARIOUS! I love that she managed to use it three times before you could even get a word in edgewise. SOOO glad you have "resurrected the blog!"

Post a Comment