Top 3 Ways Jacko Impacted My Life

on Thursday, June 25, 2009

The greatest, most iconic pop star of my generation left this world today. It could be said that he had checked out of this world for quite some time, but I was surprised to admit to myself that I spent more than a couple of moments reflecting on the impact his career had on my upbringing. After much analysis, I've narrowed the impacts down to the Big 3:

1. I must have been 6 or 7 years old when the 'Thriller' music video was released. I had no real desire to see it because, well, I was 6 or 7 years old. But my oldest sister had a desire to see it, and when my folks went out on their weekly date night, she was in charge. As I remember it, and she may recount an entirely different version, my little sister and I were banished from the house and locked out during the 14 minute video for our 'own protection'. I was angry and resentful at the time, but I know now that my sister was only saving me from inevitable nightmares. As it is, I have intense nightmares every Monday night Jan - May when I become Jack Bauer and have to save the world before morning.

2. Captain Eo. Anyone who visited Disneyland from 1986 to 1997 has to be familiar with this 3-D extravaganza. More specifically, anyone who visited Disneylad from 1986 to 1997 with my mother is painstakingly familiar with Captain Eo. That was her favorite attraction for 2 reasons: 1) the show was indoors and air conditioned and 2) the show was indoors and airconditioned. A distant 3rd reason would be that she found it fascinating how he could move his body. AWKWARD! The movie tells the story of Captain EO and the ragtag crew of his spaceship on a mission to deliver a gift to a wicked alien queen, the Supreme Leader, on her home world of rotting, twisted metal and steaming vents. Who thinks of this stuff? Pure genius.

3. Will You Be There? - Free Willy came out in 1993, when I was 16 years old. I loved it. Say what you want about the cheese factor, or perhaps the terribly forced dialogue, or even the punchlines pertaining to Pee Wee Herman, but the Michael Jackson song made the movie. I listened to it again tonight and a flood of memories and emotion came rushing back. Try it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iPWeu33s34 The speaking portion towards the end goes like this:

In our darkest hour
In my deepest despair
Will you still care?
Will you be there?
In my trials
And my tribulations
Through our doubts
And frustrations
In my violence
In my turbulence
Through my fear
And my confessions
In my anguish
and my pain
Through my joy
and my sorrow
In the promise of another tomorrow
Ill never let you part
For you're always in my heart.

Right back atchya MJ. Despite the train wreck that turned into the shell of what was once an internationally captivating Michael Jackson, you're always in our hearts.

1 comments:

The State of Our Family said...

You are an AMAZING writer! I have been fairly cynical about MJ's passing, but you made me laugh out loud and get teary eyed--a gift I tell you, a real gift!

Post a Comment